In Person Support
- Oxford Safe Haven – if you experience a mental health crisis. Open 7 days a week from 6-10pm. You must call ahead first.
To self-refer, call: 01865 903037 (the phone lines are open from 5pm)
- Banbury Safe Haven – if you experience a mental health crisis. Open Monday, Friday Saturday and Sundays from 6-10pm, but you must call ahead first. To self-refer, call: 01865 903037 (their phone lines are open from 5pm)
Telephone and Online Support
- Call 111 and ask for the Mental Health Helpline – If you require the support of an emergency service for your mental health
- Call Samaritans – on 116 123. They are a free telephone support service open 24/7 every day of the year for emotional support in a crisis – calls free of charge. You can also email them at: firstname.lastname@example.org
Samaritans also have a Self-Help App, which you can find out more information about and download here: https://www.samaritans.org/how-we-can-help/contact-samaritan/self-help/
- Call Oxfordshire Mind Information Line on 01865 247788 if you need access to their support services, Peer Support Groups, or would like to find out more. The first step is to set up an options sessions with one of their Wellbeing Service workers, which you can do so by calling the Information Line number. You can also visit their website for more information here: https://www.oxfordshiremind.org.uk/
- There is now the option to TEXT the Mind Information line – send your message to: 07451 277973 – texts answered between 9am-4pm. This is an alternative to emailing or ringing in, and is not an emergency service number.
- Text Shout – on 85258 – for free text support in a crisis, lines open 24/7. There website can also be found here: https://www.giveusashout.org/
- SANE line: Call 0300 304 7000 – 4.30-10.30pm daily for emotional support, guidance and information to anyone affected by mental illness, including families, friends and carers. For more info, visit their website: http://www.sane.org.uk/what_we_do/support/helpline
- The CALM Zone: phone 0800 58 58 58 between 5pm-midnight – they offer an anonymous and free support, information and signposting to people anywhere in the UK – 365 days of the year – https://www.thecalmzone.net/
- Papyrus Hopeline UK is a helpline for young people (age 35 and under) at risk of taking their own life. It is staffed by trained professionals who give non-judgmental support, practical advice and info to people who are worried about how they are feeling, or, anyone who is concerned about a young person, especially suicide. Phone: 0800 068 4141 (9am-10pm), Text: 07786209697, or email: email@example.com . Their website can be found here: https://papyrus-uk.org/
- Age UK Oxfordshire: Call 01865 411288 and leave your name and number, and you will get a call back as soon as possible. This is a newly created support service that provides advice and assistance to older people concerned during this time. This includes a weekly call to check on how you are, and to help problem solve if you are facing practical problems.
- OK Rehab – a website that offers guidance and support for people experiencing problems with substance misuse and co-occurring mental health problems: https://www.okrehab.org/
Support for Carers, Family and Friends
- Carers Oxfordshire is a free service which offers information, advice and support to carers. This covers people aged 18 and over, who are looking after someone aged 18 and over, living in Oxfordshire. You can contact them on: 01235 424715, via email: firstname.lastname@example.org or visit their website: www.carersoxfordshire.org.uk
- Support for Parents of Young People who self-harm – if you would like further information, please contact The Youth Mental Health Foundation via email: ParentSupport@YouthMentalHealthFoundation.org or phone 07588 792474, or visit the website: https://www.youthmentalhealthfoundation.org/
Further Supports and Practical Signposting
Sport in Mind – Sport in Mind are the UK’s leading mental health charity and deliver physical activity (sport, walking, dance and movement, gardening and exercise sessions) in order to aid recovery, promote mental wellbeing, improve physical health, combat social isolation and empower people to move their lives forward in a positive direction. They offer a wide range of different activities across Oxfordshire, and they are completely free! Have a look on their website here to find out what activities they’re running each month in Oxfordshire: https://www.sportinmind.org/oxfordshire
POhWER – Oxfordshire Advocacy Hub – POhWER deliver a range of statutory and non-statutory advocacy services to the residents of Oxfordshire. To find out more about advocacy and how you get advocacy support, please click on the link to their website here: POhWER Advocacy Support
Oxford Mindfulness Centre are offering free weekly online mindfulness sessions, alongside an introductory course to mindfulness as well as podcasts and other brilliant mindfulness resources – click the link to find out how to access these: https://www.oxfordmindfulness.org/free-online-mindfulness-course-sessions/
Other websites that we love:
- Action for Happiness – https://www.actionforhappiness.org/ – Action for Happiness is a movement of people committed to building a happier and more caring society. There are loads of practical tips on their website, along with online weekly groups for your area, live online events, Action for Happiness free calendars and toolkits for school children – and much more!
- Oxford Hub are providing a practical support service to those who need: shopping collecting, picking up prescriptions, phone check-ins, other practical support and much more. If you need General Support, or you are interested in volunteering to help support others locally, you can use their online request form: https://oxfordtogether.org/ or, you can request support by calling them The Oxford Hub Team on: 07957 105 129
- Self Compassion – Dr Kristin Neff – https://self-compassion.org/ – this website contains self-compassion practices and guided exercises, as well as information and research on self-compassion